2008年10月9日木曜日

A day in the office

This conversation happened not too long ago, between me and an acquaintance.

(upon being ushered away from a lunch table to make room for "the wives club" (an organization of officials' spouses in my office)):

  • me (in a rather loud, annoyed voice): I don't understand why there needs to be such an organization for the wives, what's it good for anyway?
  • acquaintance: Shh, not too loud they might hear you.
  • me: So what? (wanted to say "so f****in what??" but I don't swear in the company of office folk...only in familiar company do I "let myself go") Let them hear me, I don't care.
  • acq: But you'll get in trouble.
  • me: What can they do? If they think bad of me so be it.
  • acq: I don't mean it like that. What I meant was, you'd get mad too if someone bad-mouthed our organization. (note the emphasis on "our organization"... did he mean the office?? Seriously?? Oh, I couldn't care less!)
  • me: So what if someone thought "our organization" sucks, I don't care. Let them say what they want, people are entitled to different opinions.
  • acq: Well, it's up to you, I'm just trying to warn you nicely, but it's up to you. It's a positive organization, aimed as a positive activity for the wives who are mostly housewives with little to do. (with a super-patronizing look plastered on his face)
  • me: (speechless, as I get when baffled by others' behaviour/way of thinking...) (Huh??!!) ...Well.. Okay... but suppose there's an organization like this, but for husbands. Would you join it?
  • acq: No, I wouldn't. Because as a man my main duty is to provide for my family.
  • me: (even more stumped, and decide to leave the table)

Trying to think positively, I convince myself that he meant well in warning me, that he was worried that my ass would be on the line if they dislike my opinion and decide to rat on me to their husbands (i.e my superiors).

But my simple mind decides to think: What a typical chauvinistic ass-kissing prick!!!!!

0 件のコメント: